Apply to MMSP
I. Application Process
The Ohio State University’s Graduate Admissions Application Quick Guide is located online at http://admissions.osu.edu/apps/pdfs/checklist.pdf. Please also see the COM’s webpage on applying to the MMSP, http://medicine.osu.edu/research_ed/medical_fellows/checklist/applychecklist/pages/index.aspx . Applicants must meet the following minimum graduate and program admission standards:
- An earned cumulative grade-point average (GPA) equivalent to at least 3.0 out of 4.0 (or B) in all previous undergraduate and graduate course work
- MD or DO required; must be pursuing approved Ohio State clinical residency or clinical fellowship
- English Proficiency - for International Applicants and those who have held the status of U.S. Permanent Resident for less than one year.
- Applicants, whose native language is not English, must submit a recent, official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score or Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) score.
- Minimum English Proficiency Requirements are as follows:
- At least 550 on the paper-based (213 on the computer-based) Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or
- At least 82 on the Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)
Apply to the Graduate School
A. Order official transcripts from ALL institutions you have attended and earned college credit – even if it was earned while still in high school. Request that one set of official transcripts be sent directly to you and one set of official transcripts be sent directly to:
Program Coordinator, General Surgery
Department of Surgery
395 W. 12th Ave, Room 662
Columbus OH 43210
NOTE: Ohio State students do not have to submit Ohio State transcripts.
B. Obtain three (3) letters of recommendation written on the recommender’s original letterhead stationery, accompanied by the completed Ohio State Reference Forms (http://admissions.osu.edu/apps/pdfs/refer.pdf) to upload to your application.
- One letter from the residency/fellowship Program Director
- One letter from the trainee’s advisor/research mentor
- One letter from a faculty member
C. Prepare the additional graduate program materials, check gradadmissions.osu.edu and :
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Intent (This should be one page and highlight why the resident/fellow wants to pursue the Master’s Degree, his/her research interests, long-range plans, etc.)
- Test Scores (the MMSP uses the MCAT scores in lieu of the GRE – please supply a copy of your MCAT scores directly to Anna Patterson).
D. Complete the OSU Graduate School Application form located online at https://www.applyweb.com/osugrad/index.html. There is a $40 application fee for domestic applicants or $50 for international applicants.
II. Send directly to Graduate Studies Committee Chair or Program Coordinator:
- Copy of your MCAT scores
- Copy of the completed online application form
- Copies of the three letters of recommendation written on recommenders’ original letterhead stationery, accompanied by completed Ohio State Reference Forms
- Copy of current Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of the Statement of Intent.
Master of Science in Medical Science
Ginny L. Bumgardner, MD, PhD
Graduate Studies Committee Chair
395 W 12th Avenue, Room 166
Columbus, OH 43210
395 W. 12th Avenue, Room 662
Columbus OH 43210
MMSP Graduation Checklist
Prior to Graduation
- Register and enroll for at least three graduate credit hours during the semester in which graduation is expected.
- Complete & submit the online Application to Graduate form by the date specified by the Graduate School (generally no later than the second Friday of the semester in which graduation is expected. Late applications will not be accepted - no exceptions)
- Complete the required minimum number of credit hours (30 credit hours) for your program.
- Earn a graduate cumulative point hour ratio of at least 3.0.
- Make an oral presentation (pre-Grand Rounds presentation) on your research to the Graduate Studies Committee and your research advisor.
- Present your research at Department of Surgery Grand Rounds
- The Graduate Committee members will complete the Graduate School’s online Master's Examination Report form no later than the date specified by the Graduate School (generally two weeks prior to commencement).