Associate Professor - Clinical, Surgery
410 W. 10th Ave N924 Doan Hall Columbus, Ohio, 43210
2002 - 2009 Assistant Professor, Vanderbilt University, Surgery/Division of Surgical Oncology and Endocrinology
January 2004 - Present American Board of Surgery: Other, American Board of Surgery
February 2008 - Present MD: State Medical Board of Ohio
Resident Research Advisor
2012 - Present Robert Plews, M.D.. The Ohio State University Current Positions: Advisee.
Approach to and goals in teaching
My mission is to teach surgical oncology fellows, general surgery residents, and medical students the art and science of endocrine surgery. This is accomplished primarily through direct interactions in the operative room, hospital wards, and clinic. This is supplemented by formal diadactic lessons several times a year to the residents and medical students, as well as active participation in our surgical oncology multidisciplinary tumor board and case conference.
Robert Plews, M.D, a general surgery resident, began doing basic science research under my mentorship this past July 2012 on a T-32 training grant. We are submitting an abstract on November 15, 2012 to the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons annual meeting.
Chapters in Edited Books
1. Phay, John and Moley, JF, "Genetics of Cancer". In "Surgery: Basic Science and Clinical Evidence". 2nd ed. Edited by:Jeffrey A. Norton, Philip S. Barie, Ralph R. Bollinger, Alfred E. Chang, Stephen Lowry, Sean J. Mulvihill, Harvey I. Pass, Robert W. Thompson. New York: Springer. 1901-1924. 2008. [Editor-Review] (Published)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
1. Paras C, Keller M, White L, Phay J, Mahadevan-Jansen A., "Near-infrared autoflourescence for the detection of parathyroid glands". JOURNAL OF BIOMEDICAL OPTICS. Vol. 16(6), 067012. 2011. (Published) ( IF: 3.157 ) ( Citation Count: 0 )
2. Abdel-Misih SR; Broome JT; Li X; Arrese D; Kenneth Jacobs J; Chambers EP; Phay JE, "Changing intraoperative parathyroid hormone collection sites from peripheral to central does not affect predictive accuracy during minimally invasive parathyroidectomy.". Annals Of Surgical Oncology. Vol. 18, no. 3: 771. 2011. (Published) ( IF: 4.166 ) ( Citation Count: 0 )
3. Kauffmann RM; Juhlin CC; Fohn LE; Broome JT; Phay JE, "Parathyroid carcinoma arising from four-gland hyperplasia.". Endocrine Practice: Official Journal Of The American College Of Endocrinology And The American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists. Vol. 17, no. 2: e1. 2011. (Published) ( IF: 2.486 )
4. Terhune KP; Jagasia S; Blevins LS Jr; Phay JE, "Diagnostic and therapeutic dilemmas of hypercortisolemia during pregnancy: a case report.". The American Surgeon. Vol. 75, no. 3: 232. 2009. (Published) ( IF: 1.154 ) ( Citation Count: 1 )
5. Zaydfudim V; Feurer ID; Griffin MR; Phay JE, "The impact of lymph node involvement on survival in patients with papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma.". Surgery. Vol. 144, no. 6: 1070. 2008. (Published) ( IF: 3.389 ) ( Citation Count: 38 )
6. Zaydfudim V; Stover DG; Caro SW; Phay JE, "Presentation of a medullary endocrine neoplasia 2A kindred with Cushing's syndrome.". The American Surgeon. Vol. 74, no. 7: 659. 2008. (Published)
7. Phay,John,E; Oladapupo,Sunday; Koch,Stephen; Short,Craig; Granner,Daryl; Printz,Richard,L, "Oncogenic H-Ras increases glucose metabolism with an induction of glucose transporter GLUT1 and hexokinase 2 expression". JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SURGEONS. Vol. 205, no. 3: S89-S89. 2007. (Published) ( IF: 3.101 ) ( Citation Count: 0 )
8. Broome JT; Schrager JJ; Bilheimer D; Chambers EP; Jacobs JK; Phay J, "Central venous sampling for intraoperative parathyroid hormone monitoring: are peripheral guidelines applicable?". The American Surgeon. Vol. 73, no. 7: 712. 2007. (Published)
1. Caronia,Lisa,M; Phay,John,E; Shah,Manisha,H, "Role of BRAF in Thyroid Oncogenesis". CLINICAL CANCER RESEARCH. Vol. 17, no. 24: 7511-7517. (2011) ( IF: 7.742 ) [Peer-Review] (Published)
2. Phay JE; Shah MH, "Targeting RET receptor tyrosine kinase activation in cancer.". Clinical Cancer Research: An Official Journal Of The American Association For Cancer Research. Vol. 16, no. 24: 5936. (2010) ( IF: 7.338 ) [Peer- Review] (Published)
Abstract and Short Entries
1. Ettinger DS, Agulnik M, Cates JM, Cristea M, Denlinger CS, Eaton KD, Fidias PM, Gierada D, Gockerman JP, Handorf CR, Iyer R, Lenzi R, Phay J, Rashid A, Saltz L, Shulman LN, Smerage JB, Varadhachary GR, Zager JS, Zhen WK. "Occult primary". J Natl Compr Canc Netw. PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. ( 2011 ): 9(12):1358-95. [ Editor-Review ] ( Published )
Papers in Proceedings
1. Zaydfudim,Victor; Stover,Daniel,G; Caro,Susan,W; Phay,John,E. "Presentation of a medullary endocrine neoplasia 2A
kindred with Cushing's syndrome" In: Annual Scientific Meeting and Postgraduate Course Program of the Southeastern-Surgical-Congress. Vol. 74. ( 2008 ): 659-661. ( IF: 1.297 ) ( Citation Count: 1 ) [ Peer-Review ] ( Published )
2. Broome,James,T; Schrager,Jason,J; Bilheimer,Dean; Chambers,Eugene,P; Jacobs,J,Kenneth; Phay,John. "Central venous sampling for intraoperative parathyroid hormone monitoring: are peripheral guidelines applicable?" In: Annual Scientific Meeting of the Southeastern-Surgical-Congress. Vol. 73. ( 2007 ): 712-716. ( IF: 1.241 ) ( Citation Count: 2 ) [ Peer-Review ] ( Published )
1. Phay JE, Presenter. "Surgical Management of Medullary and Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer." Presented at Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Grand Rounds. Columbus, ( 2009 )
1. Phay, JE, Presenter. "Thyroid Nodules and the Rising Incidence of Thyroid Cancer." Presented at Grand Rounds. Portsmouth, ( 2011 )
2. Phay JE, Farrar W, Teknos T, Panelist. "Controversies in Thyroid Cancer Surgery for Residual/Recurrent Differentiated and Medullary Thyroid Cancer." Presented at Ernest L. Mazzaferri Thyroid Cancer Conference from Predisposition to Therapy: A Bench to Bedside Symposium.. Columbus, ( 2010 )
1. Phay,John E, Moderator. "Scientific Session V." Presented at American Association of Endocrine Surgeons Annual Meeting. Iowa City, Iowa, United States. ( 2012 )
1. Zaydfudim V, Stover D, Caro S, Phay JE, Presenter. "Presentation of an MEN 2A kindred with Cushing’s syndrome." Presented at Southeastern Surgical Congress Annual Meeting. Birmingham, ( 2008 )
2. Zaydfudim V, Stover D, Caro S, Phay JE, Presenter. "Cushing’s Syndrome in MEN2A." Presented at Tennessee Chapter of the American College of Surgeons Annual Meeting. Paris Landing, ( 2007 )
1. Hayes, A; Hall, N; Mcgough, A; Zhang, J; Terando, A; Phay, J; Knopp, M., Presenter. "Evaluation of the use of a large field-of-view (LFOV) gamma camera during intra-operative." Presented at Society of Nuclear Medicine. Miami Beach, (2012 ) [ Peer-Review ]
2. Phay JE, Koch S, Printz R., Presenter. "Oncogenic H-Ras Effects on Glucose Transporter and Hexokinase RNA Stabilization." Presented at Academic Surgical Congress. San Antonio, ( 2010 )
3. Phay JE, Short CS, Granner DK, Printz RL, Presenter. "Glut 1 and Hexokinase 2 Induction by Oncogenic Ras Requires both the Phosphoinositide 3-Kinase and Map Kinase Pathways." Presented at Academic Surgical Congress. Huntington Beach, ( 2008 )
4. Phay JE, Oladapupo SS, Koch SR, Short CS, Granner DK, Printz RL, Presenter. "Oncogenic H-Ras Increases Glucose Metabolism with an Induction of Glucose Transporter GLUT1 and Hexokinase 2 Expression." Presented at Surgical Forum of the American College of Surgeons Annual Congress. New Orleans, ( 2007 )
1. Hall N, Jones N, Agrawal A, Hayes A, McGough A, Knopp MV, Phay, John, Presenter. "Real-Time Intraoperative Imaging with 99mTc Sestamibi can Reduce Time in the Operating Room during Parathyroidectomy." Presented at World Molecular Imaging Congress. Dublin, Ireland. ( 2012 ) [ Peer-Review ]
2. Phay, JE, Presenter. "Hypercalcemia in pregnancy." Presented at American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
Annual Meeting. Houston, ( 2011 )
3. Abdel-Misih S, Broome J, Li X, Chambers E, Jacobs JK, Phay JE, Presenter. "Changing Intraoperative Parathyroid Hormone Collection Sites from Peripheral to Central Does Not Affect Predictive Accuracy During Parathyroidectomy." Presented at American Association of Endocrine Surgeons Annual Meeting. Pittsburg, (2010)
4. Kauffmann R, Phay JE, Presenter. "Persistent Hypercalcemia after 3.5 Gland Removal." Presented at American
Association of Endocrine Surgeons Annual Meeting. Madison, ( 2009 )
Inventions and Patents
1. Anita Mahadevan-Jansen; Lisa White; John Phay; Constantine A Paras; Elizabeth Kanter Bartz; Matthew D Keller; Nicole Gasparino; Jennifer Gray Whisenant. "INTRA-OPERATIVE USE OF FLUORESCENCE SPECTROSCOPY AND APPLICATIONS OF SAME." Anasys Instruments Corporation, filed 2009, (patent pending), and Application No. 13056469
This patent has been licensed for revenue production by myself, others on the patent, and Vanderbilt University to Anasys Instruments Corporation, a biotech company in California, for a product to identify parathyroids intraoperatively using autoflorscence. The product antipated first sale is 2014.
Focus of Research
My two primary research projects are being performed by a Research Associate, Adlina Mohd Yusof, and recently, Robert Plews, in the laboratory of Dr. Matthew Ringel. The first is examining the effects and mechanisms of a novel AMPK activitor created by Dr. Ching-Shi Chen on thyroid cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Our preliminary work is currently being submited to the American Association of Endocrine Surgery meeting.
The second is the creation of a novel imaging agent for medullary thyroid cancer and parathyroids. These agents were synthesized by Dr. Michael Tweedle, and have demonstrated activity in vitro and in xeongraghs in nude mice. We anticipate submitting this to the Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism this month. I am the senior author on both projects.
1. 12/2007 - Present. Genetic and Signaling Pathways in Epithelial Thyroid Cancer. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. ( 12,115,693 , Total Award ) Research Grant. 12/2007. Grant/Contact Number: P01CA124570-01A1 PI: DE LA CHAPELLE,ALBERT, Co-I: PHAY, JOHN; ENG,CHARIS; JARJOURA,DAVID; JHIANG,SISSY,M; KIRSCHNER,LAWRENCE,S; RINGEL,MATTHEW,D
Journal Ad hoc Reviewer
2012 - Present Annals of Surgical Oncology. ( Journal ).
2010 - 2012 Surgery.
2007 - 2010 World Journal of Surgery. ( Journal ).
2009 - Present Thyroid/Neuroendocrine Tumors Clinic. Physician. The Ohio State University, Dept of
Ohio State University Health System
2012 - Present Health System Corporate Credentialing Committee, Member
2010 - 2011 Evidence-Based Policy Committee, Member
List of prizes and awards
2005, American College of Surgeons Faculty Research Fellowship
2002, Vanderbilt Physician Scientist Development Award
1999, Samuel A. Wells Annual Resident Research Award
1998, Surgical Oncology Training Grant Fellowship
1997, Washington University Cancer Center Grant
1991, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Fellowship, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
1989, UCSF Summer Fellowship
1987, Cum laude, Williams College
1987, Sigma Xi
1986, Phi Beta Kappa