Lisa D. Yee, MD
N911 Doan Hall
410 W 10th Avenue
Columbus, Ohio, 43210
Current OSU Appointments
Associate Professor, Surgical Oncology
Co-Director, High Risk Breast Program, The James Cancer Hospital
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Human Nutrition, The Ohio State University
Physician, FGP-Surgical Oncology
American Association for Cancer Research
American College of Surgeons
American Society for Preventive Oncology
American Society of Breast Surgeons
American Society of Clinical Oncology
Association for Academic Surgery
Central Surgical Association
Society of Surgical Oncology
- Yee LD, OSU Health and Wellness Initiative, “Breast Cancer Prevention Update”, Ross Auditorium, Oct, 24, 2014.
- Ke JY, Schwartz SJ, Riedl KM, Yee LD, Kliewer KL, Belury MA. Accumulation of dietary naringenin and metabolites in mice [abstract]. Annual Meeting of Experimental Biology, Boston, MA, April 2013.
- Yee L, Rolsten S, Rengel R, Wallace J, Mohler R, Mariano A, Clinton S, Ostrowski M. Effects of dietary fatty acids on mammary macrophages in HER-2/neu-mediated mammary carcinogenesis [abstract]. Proceedings of the 103rd Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; 2012 Mar 31-Apr 4; Chicago, Illinois. Philadelphia (PA): AACR; 2012. Abstract nr 5426.
- Liu Z, Du L, Liu S, Xie Z, MO X, Yu J, Wu L, Yee L, Mallery S, Stoner G, Chan K. Complementary reactivation of tumor suppressor genes in breast cancer cells by curcumin and curcumin O-glucuronide [abstract]. Proceeding of the 103rd Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; 2012 Mar 31-Apr 4; Chicago, Illinois. Philadelphia (PA): AACR; 2012. Abstract nr 581
- Weng SC, Wu E, Kulp S, Wang DS, Chen CS, Yee L, The antitumor effects of OSU-HDAC42, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, in HER2-positive breast cancer are mediated partly through Hsp90 modulation, Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, April 21, 2009.
- Yee LD, Lester JL, Cole RM, Richardson JR, Li Y, Hsu JC, Belury MA, Clinton SK, A dose response study of omega 3 fatty acids in women at high risk for breast cancer, Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting, Denver, CO, April 21, 2009.
- Ke, Jia-Yu, Kliewer, KL, Hamad EM, Cole RM, Powell KA, Andridge RA, Straka SR, Yee LD, Belury MA. Naringenin decreases adipose mass and attenuates ovariectomy-associated metabolic disturbances in mice, Nutrition and Metabolosm accepted 12/2014, in press.
- Jaremka LM, Peng J, Bornstein R, Alfano CM, Andridge RR, Povoski SP, Lipari AM, Agnese DM, Farrar WB, Yee LD, Carson WE 3rd, Kiecolt-Glaser JK. Cognitive problems among breast cancer survivors: loneliness enhances risk Psychooncology. 2014 Dec; 23 (12): 1356-64.
- Fagundes CP, Jaremka LM, Glaser R, Alfano CM, Poviski SP, Lipari AM, Agnese DM, Yee LD, Carson WE 3rd, Farrar WB, Malarkey WB, chen M, Kiecolt-Glaser JK. Attachment anxiety is related to Epstein-Barr virus latency. Brain Behav Immun. 2014 Oct; 41: 232-8.
- Jaremka LM, Andridge RR, Fagundes CP, Alfano CM, Povoski SP, Lipari AM, Agnese DM, Arnold MW, Farrar WB, Yee LD, Carson WE, Bekaii-Saab T, Martin EW, Schmidt CR, Kiecolt-Glaser JK. Pain, Depression, and Fatigue: Loneliness as a Longitudinal Risk Factor. Health Psychol, 2013 Aug 19 [epub]. PMID: 23957903
- Lindgren ME, Fagundes CP, Alfano CM, Povoski SP, Agnese DM, Arnold MW, Farrar WB, Yee LD, Carson WE, Schmidt CR, Kiecolt-Glaser JK. Beta-blockers may reduce intrusive thoughts in newly diagnosed cancer patients. Psycho-oncology, 22(8):1889-1894, 2013. PMID 23255459
- Yee LD, Agarwal D, Rosol TJ, Lehman A, Tian M, Hatton J, Heestand J, Belury MA, Clinton SK. The inhibition of early stages of HER-2/neu-mediated mammary carcinogenesis by dietary n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research, 57(2):320-327, 2012. PMID: 23213007
- D'Amato NC, Ostrander JH, Bowie ML, Sistrunk C, Borowsky A, Cardiff RD, Bell K, Young LJ, Simin K, Bachelder RE, Delrow J, Dawson A, Yee LD, Mrózek K, Clay TM, Osada T, Seewaldt VL. Evidence for phenotypic plasticity in aggressive triple-negative breast cancer: human biology is recapitulated by a novel model system. PLoS One, 7(9):e45684, 2012. PMID: 23049838
- Fagundes CP, Bennett JM, Alfano CM, Glaser R, Povoski SP, Lipari AM, Agnese DM, Yee LD, Carson WE 3rd, Farrar WB, Malarkey WB, Chen M, Kiecolt-Glaser JK. Social support and socioeconomic status interact to predict Epstein-Barr virus latency in women awaiting diagnosis or newly diagnosed with breast cancer. Health Psychol, 31(1):11-19. 2011. PMID: 22004465
- Chen W, Fan-Havard P, Yee LD, Cao Y, Stoner GD, Chann KK, Liu Z. A liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometric method for quantification of curcumin-O-glucuronide and curcumin in human plasma. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci, 900:89-93, 2012. PMID:22682887
- Zhongfa L, Chiu M, Wang J, Chen W, Yen W, Fan-Havard P, Yee LD, Chan KK. Enhancement of curcumin oral absorption and pharmacokinetics of curcuminoids and curcumin metabolites in mice. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 69(3):679-689, 2012. PMID:21968952
- Bronisz A, Godlewski J, Wallace JA, Merchant AS, Nowicki MO, Mathsyaraja H, Srinivasan R, Trimboli AJ, Martin CK, Li F, Yu L, Fernandez SA, Pécot T, Rosol TJ, Cory S, Hallett M, Park M, Piper MG, Marsh CB, Yee LD, Jimenez RE, Nuovo G, Lawler SE, Chiocca EA, Leone G, Ostrowski MC. Reprogramming of the tumor microenvironment by stromal PTEN-regulated miR-320. Nature Cell Biology Dec 18. doi: 10.1038/ncb2396, 2011.
- Yee LD, Lester JL, Cole RM, Richardson JR, Hsu JC, Li Y, Lehman A, Belury MA, Clinton SK. Omega 3 fatty acid supplements in women at high risk for breast cancer show dose dependent effects on breast adipose fatty acid composition. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 91(5):1185-94, 2010.
- Trimboli AJ, Cantemir-Stone CZ, Li F, Wallace JA, Merchant A, Creasap N, Thompson JC, Caserta E, Wang H, Chong JL, Naidu S, Wei G, Sharma SM, Stephens JA, Fernandez SA, Gurcan MN, Weinstein MB, Barsky SH, Yee L, Rosol TJ, Stromberg PC, Robinson ML, Pepin F, Hallett M, Park M, Ostrowski MC, Leone G. Pten in stromal fibroblasts suppresses mammary epithelial tumors. Nature, 461(7267):1084-1091, 2009.
- Ibarra-Drendall C, Wilke LG, Zalles C, Scott V, Archer LE, Lem S, Yee LD, Lester J, Kulkarni S, Murekeyisoni C, Wood M, Wilson K, Garber J, Gentry C, Stouder A, Broadwater G, Baker JC Jr, Vasilatos SN, Owens E, Rabiner S, Barron AC, Seewaldt VL. Reproducibility of Random Periareolar Fine Needle Aspiration in a Multi-Institutional Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB) Cross-Sectional Study. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, 18(5):1-7, 2009.
Ongoing Research and Support
07/18/12 – 06/30/15
NCI R03CA162551 $146,724.00 (NCE)
Title: Bioavailability and activity of dietary naringenin as a chemopreventive agent
PI: Martha A. Belury, Co-I: Lisa D. Yee
The major goals of this project are to quantify the accumulation of naringinen in mammary tissues and blood then determine the relative dose responsive effect of dietary naringenin on events leading to mammary cancer
09/01/12 – 09/01/15
Title: CALGB 40903: Phase II study of neoadjuvant letrozole for postmenopausal women with estrogen receptor positive ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS)
Site PI: Lisa D. Yee
This is a multi-institutional Phase II clinical trial to assess the effects of the aromatase inhibitor letrozole on ER+ DCIS on MRI tumor volume and tissue biomarkers.
06/10/12 – 06/09/15
Title: CALGB 70806: Vitamin D and breast cancer biomarkers
Site PI: Lisa D. Yee
This a multi-institutional randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study (2000 IU of vitamin D vs. placebo) to investigate the effects of vitamin D supplementation as a means of breast cancer prevention.
07/01/12 – 12/31/14
OSUCCC Intramural Grant $50,000.00
Title: Eiscosanoids as biomarkers of dietary omega 3 fatty acid exposure and response
PI: Lisa D. Yee
The major goals of this project are: to evaluate the metabolic effects of dietary ?-3 fatty acids as potential biomarkers of target tissue response.
CAFFRE/MCC program $15,000.00
Title: Nanoemulsion curcumin for obesity, inflammation and breast cancer prevention – a pilot trial
PI: Lisa D. Yee
The goals of this project are: to determine the adherence, tolerability and safety of a novel nanoemulsion curcumin (NEC) formulation in women at high risk for developing breast cancer and to determine whether NEC modulates pro-inflammatory biomarkers in plasma and breast adipose tissue.
Food Innovation Center $15,000.00
Title: Raspberry ketone (RK) in weight loss and anti-inflammation
PI: Christopher T. Simons, Co-I: Lisa D. Yee
The primary goal is to measure the effect of an RK supplemented diet on an obese and inflamed mouse model with regards to bioavailability of RK in vivo, food intake, and biomarkers of inflammation.
06/01/2013 to 05/31/2015
NIH/NCI (subcontract University of Chicago) $5000.00
Title: A study evaluating the effect of flaxseed on biomarkers of breast cancer risk
PI: Swati Kulkarni; Site PI: Lisa D. Yee
This is a randomized trial to determine the effects of ground flaxseed vs observation on mammary tissue biomarkers of breast cancer risk in high risk premenopausal women.
Solid Tumor Seed Fund/OSUCCC $150,000.00
PI: Lisa D. yee
This funding is to support the development of my research program.
1R01CA164019-01A1 $ 1,924,275.00
Title: Omega-3 fatty acids and ERPR(-) and HER-2/neu(+) breast cancer prevention
PI: Lisa D. Yee
The primary goal is to determine the effects of dietary -3 fatty acids on biomarkers of exposure and response in women at high risk for recurrence of ERPR(-)HER-2/neu(+) or triple negative breast cancer.
CA181547-01A1 (PI: Padamsee) 09/2014-08/2019 Mentor
Preventing Breast Cancer: Decisions and Effects among Women at Elevated Risk
This study will explore (a) the processes through which women deliberate and decide from among their prevention options, (b) the choices they make as a result, and (c) the effects of both prevention choices and the decision-making processes that precede them on women’s health and well-being.