Raphael E. Pollock, MD, PhD
Current OSU Appointments
Professor and Director, Division of Surgical Oncology
Vice Chairman for Clinical Affairs, Department of Surgery
Surgeon in Chief, James Comprehensive Cancer Center
Surgeon in Chief, The Ohio State University Health System
Physician, FGP-Surgical Oncology
- O’Sullivan B, Brierley J, Pollock RE, D’Cruz A, Fey M, Vermoken J, UICC Manual of Clinical Oncology, Ninth Edition. Wiley, in press.
- Brunicardi C, Andersen DK, Billiar TR, Dunn DL, Hunter JG, Pollock RE. Principles of Surgery, 10th ed. McGraw-Hill Publishing, New York, 2014.
- Hong WK, Bast R, Hait WN, Kufe DW, Pollock RE, Weichselbaum RR, Holland JF, Frei E. Cancer Medicine, 8th ed. People’s Medical Publishing House-USA, Shelton, Connecticut, 2010.
Chapters in Books
- Chen JL, Pollock RE, Meterissian S, Parsyan A. Role of Translation and its Regulation in Sarcoma: In: Translation and Its Regulation in Cancer Biology and Medicine. Parsyan A. Springer, New York, NY (In Press)
- Abbott DE, Pollock RE. Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma (ASPS): In: Textbook of Sarcoma Oncology.
- Pollock RE, Randall L, Baker L, O’Sullivan B. Peoples Medical Publishing House, New York, NY, (In Press).
- Dickson PV, Pollock RE. Surgical management of desmoid tumors. In: Desmoid Tumors. Litchman C. Springer, New York, NY, (In Press).
- Clark O, Morton D, Pollock RE, Choti M, Nakakura E, Henner D, Cady B. Clinical dilemmas paradoxes: unique patterns of metastasis by common and rare types of cancer. In: From Local Invasion to Metastatic Cancer: Involvement of Distant Sites Through the Lymphovascular System. S.P.L. Leong. Humana Press, New York, NY, (In Press).
- Ravi V, Pollock RE, Patel SR. Soft tissue sarcoma. In: 60 Years of Survival Outcomes at the University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Burke T, Rodriguez A, and Walters R, ed. Springer, New York, NY, 2013.
- Raval B, Pollock RE, Guadagnolo A, Patel S. Primary retroperitoneal tumors: In: Silverman PM, ed. Oncologic Imaging. Elsevier, New York, NY, 2012.
- Torres T, Pollock RE: Soft tissue sarcoma. In: Evidence-Based Medicine in Elective General Surgery, Cohn S, Brower S. Elsevier, New York, NY, 2012.
- Torres KE, Hunt K, Pollock RE. Fore-Quarter Amputation, Master Techniques in Breast Surgery. Kirby Bland, Suzanne Klimberg. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2011.
- Torres KE, Pollock RE. Gene Therapy for Sarcoma. In: Gene-based Therapies for Cancer. Roth J, ed. Springer, New York, NY, 2010.
- Pollock RE, Morton DL, Choti M. Principles of Surgical Oncology. In: Cancer Medicine, 8th ed. D Kufe, R Pollock, R Weichselbaum, R Bast, J Holland, E Frei III. B.C. Decker, Ontario, Canada, 2010.
2011 - Present Clinical Oncology and Cancer Research- Associate Editor
2011 - Present Intercontinental Journal of Cancer Control- Member; Editorial Board
2010 - Present Oncosurgery- Editorial Board
2008 - Present UpToDate- Editor-In-Chief (Surgery)
2008 - Present UpToDate- Section Editor (Sarcoma)
2008 - Present Journal of Integrative Oncology- Associate Editor
2006 - Present Der Onkologe- Advisory Editor
2002 - Present Frontiers in Bioscience- Managing Editor
1999 - Present InScight- Associate Editor
1999 - Present Annals of Surgical Oncology- Associate Editor
1996 - Present Seminars in Surgical Oncology- Associate Editor
1994 - Present Journal of Surgical Oncology- Associate Editor
- Movva S, von Mehren M, Pollock RE, Isler J. Individualizing therapy in sarcoma with patient-derived xenografts (PDXs). ESUN; in press
- Hwang JA, Yang H-M, Hong D-P, Joo S-Y, Choi Y-L, Park J-H, Lazar AJ, Pollock RE, Lev D, Kim SJ. Gankyrin is a predictive and oncogenic factor in well-differentiated and dedifferentiated liposarcoma. Oncotarget. 5:1-14, 2014.
- Zhang P, Pollock RE. Epigenetic Regulators: New Therapeutic Targets for Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Cancer Cell & Microenvironment 1:120-124, 2014.
- Stebbing J, Paz K, Schwartz G, Wexler L, Maki R, Pollock RE, Morris R, Cohen R, Shanker A, Blackman G, Harding V, Vasquez D, Krell JA, Ciznadija D, Katz A, Sidransky D. Patient-derived xenografts for individualized care in advanced sarcoma. Cancer. 120:2006-2015, 2014.
- Bednarski B, Araujo D, Yi M, Torres K, Lazar A, Trent J, Cormier J, Pisters P, Lev D, Pollock RE, Feig B, Hunt K. Analysis of prognostic factors impacting oncologic outcomes after neoadjuvant tyrosine kinase inhibitor therapy for gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Ann Surg Onc. 21:2499-505, 2014.
- Tseng W, Madewell J, Wei W, Somaiah N, Lazar A, Ghadimi M, Hoffman A, Pisters P, Lev D, Pollock RE. Locoregional disease patterns in well-differentiated and dedifferentiated retroperitoneal liposarcoma: implications for the extent of resection? Ann Surg Onc. 21: 2136-2143, 2014.
- Zhang, P, Garnett, J, Creighton, C, Al Sannaa, GA, Ingram, DR, Lazar, A, Liu, X, Liu, C, Pollock RE. EZH2-miR-30d-KPNB1 pathway regulates malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumor cell survival and tumorigenesis. J. Pathol. 232:308–318, 2014.
- Sherman, KL, Wayne, JD, Chung, J, Agulinik, M, Attar, S, Hayes, J, Laskin, WB, Peabody, TD, Bentrem, DJ, Pollock RE, Bilimoria, KY. Assessment of Multimodality Therapy Use for Extermity Sarcoma in the United States: J. Surg. Oncol. 109:395–404, 2014.
- Yang J, Du X, Wang G, Sun Y, Chen K, Zhu X, Lazar AJ, Hunt KK, Pollock RE, Zhang W. Mesenchymal to epithelial transition in sarcomas. Eur J Cancer. 50.3: 593-601, 2014.
- Santos FP, Tam CS, Kantarjian H, Cortes J, Thomas D, Pollock RE, Verstovsek S. Splenectomy in patients with myeloproliferative neoplasms: efficacy, complications and impact on survival and transformation. Leuk.Lymphoma. 55:121-7, 2014.
- Wang S, Liu C, Zakharov V, Lazar A, Pollock RE, Larin K. Three-dimensional computational analysis of optical coherence tomography imagages for detection of soft tissue sarcomas. Jour Biomed Opt. 19: 21102-3, 2014.
- Wang S, Sudheendran N, Liu C, Manapuram R, Zakharov V, Ingram D, Lazar A, Lev D, Pollock RE, Larin K. Computational analysis of optical coherence tomography images for the detection of soft tissue sarcomas. J Biomed Opt. 19:021102-1-10, 2013.
- Columbo C, Rosalba M, Lazar A, Perrone F, Pollock RE, Le Cesne A, Hartgrink H, Cleton-Jansen A, Domont J, Bovee J, Bonvalot S, Lev D, Gronchi A. CTNNB1 45F mutation is a molecular prognosticator of increased postoperative primary desmoid tumor recurrence: an independent multicenter validation study. Cancer. 119:3696-702, 2013.
- Garvey P, Booth J, Baumann D, Calhoun K, Liu J, Pollock RE, Butler C. Complex reconstruction of desmoid tumor resections does not increase desmoid tumor recurrence. Jour Am Coll Surg. 217: 472-480, 2013.
- Gronchi A, Pollock RE. Quality of local treatment or biology of the tumor: which are the trump cards for loco-regional control of retroperitoneal sarcoma? Ann Surg Onc. 7:2111-3, 2013.
- Gronchi A, Miceli R, Shurell E, Eilber F, Eilber FR, Anaya D, Kattan M, Honore C, Lev D, Colombo C, Bonvalot S, Mariani L, Pollock RE. Outcome prediction in primary resected retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcoma: Histology-specific overall survival and disease-free survival nomograms built on major sarcoma center data sets. J Clin Oncol. 31:1649-55, 2013.
- Hoffman A, Ghadimi MPH, Demicco EG, Torres K, Zhang T, Colombo C, Ping T, Young E, Hornick JL, Wang W, Ravi V, Lazar AJ, Creighton CJ, Pollock RE, Lev D. Localized and metastatic myxoid/round liposarcoma: clinical and molecular observations. Cancer. 119: 1868-77, 2013.
- Hu X, Zimmerman MA, Bardhan K, Yang D, Waller JL, Liles GB, Lee JR, Pollock RE, Lev D, Ware CF, Garber E, Bailly V, Browning JL, Liu K. Lymphotoxin β receptor mediates caspase-dependent tumor cell apoptosis in vitro and tumor suppression in vivo despite induction of NF-κB activation. Carcinogenesis. 34:1105-14, 2013.
- Lusby K, Savannah K, Demicco E, Zhang Y, Ghadimi M, Young E, Colmbo C, Lam R, Dogan T, Hornick J, Lazar A, Hunt K, Anderson M, Creighton C, Lev D, Pollock RE, Uterine leiomyosarcoma management, outcome, and associated molecular biomarkers. Ann Surg Onc 20: 2364-72, 2013.
- Pollock RE. Extended surgery for retroperitoneal sarcoma: too much surgery for some and not enough for others? Oncology; 27: 641-42, 2013.
- Torres KE, Ravi V, Kin K, Yi M, Guadagnolo A, May CD, Arun BK, Hunt KK, Lam R, Lahat G, Hoffman A, Cormier JN, Feig BW, Lazar AJ, Lev D, Pollock RE. Long-term outcomes in patients with radiation-associated angiosarcomas of the breast following surgery and radiotherapy for breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol, 20: 1267-1274, 2013.
- Tseng W, Feig B, Lev D, Pollock RE. Surgery: Primary treatment for well differentiated liposarcoma and a critical component of aggressive, multimodality treatment for dedifferentiated liposarcoma. Treat Strat Onc. 3:55-58, 2013.
- Tseng WW, Somaiah N, Lazar AJ, Lev DC, Pollock RE. Novel systemic therapies in advanced liposarcoma: a review of recent clinical trial results. Cancer. 5:529-49, 2013.
- Xie H, Lev D, Gong Y, Wang S, Pollock RE, Wu X, Gu J. Reduced mitochondrial DNA copy number in peripheral blood leukocytes increases the risk of soft tissue sarcoma. Carcinogen. 34:1039-43, 2013.
- Xie H, Wu X, Wang S, Chang D, Pollock RE, Lev D, Gu J. Long telomeres in peripheral blood leukocytes are associated with an increased risk of soft tissue sarcoma. Cancer. 119: 1885-91, 2013.
- Zhang Y, Lev D, Simmons P, Pollock RE, Lazar A, Bill K, Belousov R. Heterogeneity and immunophenotypic plasticity of malignant cells in human liposarcomas. Stem Cell Research. 11:772-8, 2013.
- Savannah KB, Demicco EG, Lusby K, Ghadimi MP, Belousov R, Young E, Zhang Y, Huang KL, Lazar AJ, Hunt KK, Pollock RE, Creighton CJ, Anderson ML, Lev D. Dual targeting of mTOR and Aurora-A kinase for the treatment of uterine leiomyosarcoma. Clin Cancer Res. 18:4633-45, 2012.
- Demicco EG, Park MS, Araujo DM, Fox PS, Bassett R, Pollock RE, Lazar AJ, Wang WL. Solitary fibrous tumor/ hemangiopericytoma: A clinicopathological study of 110 primary tumors. Mod Path. 25:1298-1306, 2012.
- Torres K, Lazar A, Pollock RE, Lev D. Angiosarcoma: A frequently recurrent and highly metastatic malignancy. ECJMO. 4:73-81, 2012.
- Zimmerman MA, Rahman NT, Yang D, Lahat G, Lazar AJ, Pollock RE, Lev D, and Liu K. Unphosphorylated STAT1 promotes sarcoma development through repressing expression of Fas and Bad and conferring apoptotic resistance. Cancer Res. Sep 15; 72(18):4724-32, 2012.
- Wang WL, Katz D, Araujo DM, Ravi V, Ludwig JA, Trent JC, Patel SR, Lin P, Guadagnolo A, Lopez-Terrada D, Paola de Tos A, Lewis VO, Lev D, Pollock RE, Zagars G, Benjamin RS, Madewell JE, Lazar AF. Extensive adipocytic maturation can be seen in myxoid liposarcomas treated with neoadjuvant doxorubicin and ifosfamide and pre-operative radiation therapy Clin Sarcoma Res. 2:25-32, 2012.
- Bilimoria KY, Wayne JD, Merkow RP, Abbott DE, Cormier J, Feig BW, Hunt KK, Pisters PWT, Pollock RE, Bentrem DJ. Incorporation of adjuvant systemic therapy into the management of gastrointestinal stromal tumors of the stomach. Ann Surg Onc, 19: 184-191, 2012.
- Ghadimi MP, Lopez G, Torres K, Belousov R, Young E, Liu J, Hoffman A, Lusby K, Pollock RE, Lev D. Targeting the PI3K/mTOR axis, along and in combination with autophagy blockage, for the treatment of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors. Mole Can Ther, 11:1758–1769, 2012.
- Ghadimi, MPH, Young ED, Belousov R, Zhang Y, Lopez G, Lusby K, Kivlin C, Demicco EG, Creighton CJ, Lazar AJ, Pollock RE, Lev D. Surviving is a viable target for the treatment of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors. Clin Cancer Res, 18:2545-57, 2012.
- Wang S, Li J, Manapuram RK, Menodiado FM, Ingram DR, Twa MD, Lazar AJ, Lev DC, Pollock RE, Larin KV. Noncontact measurement of elasticity for the detection of soft-tissue tumors using phase-sensitive optical coherence tomography combined with a focused air-puff system. Optics Letter, 37: 5184-5186, 2012.
- Zhang P, Bill K, Liu J, Young E, Peng T, Bolshakov S, Hoffman A, Creighton CJ, Anderson ML, Lazar AJ, Calin G, Pollock RE, Lev D. miR-155 is a liposarcoma tumor oncogene that targets casein kinase 1α (CK1α) and enhances β-catenin signaling. Cancer Res, 72: 1751-1752, 2012.
- Bonvalot, S, Raut CP, Pollock RE, Rutkoski P, Strauss DC, Hayes AJ, Van Coevorden F, Fiore M, Stoeckle E, Hohenberger P and Gronchi A. Technical considerations in surgery for retroperitoneal sarcomas. Position paper from e-SURGE, a masterclass in sarcoma surgery, and EORTC-STBSG. Ann Surg Oncol, 19:2981-91, 2012.
- Colombo, C, Foo WC, Whiting D, Young ED, Lusby K, Pollock RE, Lazar AJ, Lev D. FAP related desmoid tumors: a series of 44 patients evaluated in a cancer referral center. Histol Histopathol, 27: 641-649, 2012.
- Torres KE, Pollock RE. Alveolar soft part sarcoma. ESUN; volume 7 [epub.], 2012.
- Wang WL, Katz D, Araujo DM, Ravi V, Ludwig JA, Trent JC, Patel SR, Lin PP, Guadagnolo A, Lòpez-Terrada D, Dei Tos AP, Lewis VO, Lev D, Pollock RE, Zagars GK, Benjamin RS, Madewell JE, Lazar AJ. Extensive adipocytic maturation can be seen in myxoid liposarcomas treated with neoadjuvant doxorubicin and ifosfamide and pre-operative radiation therapy. Clin Sarcoma Res. 2:25, 2012.
- Wang WL, Valentin RAB, Prieto VG, Pollock RE, Lev DC, Lazar AJ. Sarcoma metastases to the skin: a clinicopathological study of 65 cases. Cancer, 118: 2900-2904, 2012.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary perspectives in leiomyosarcoma research. National Leiomyosarcoma Foundation. Columbus, OH. April 24, 2015.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary issues in soft tissue sarcoma. University of New Mexico, Department of Surgery Grand Rounds. Albuquerque, NM. February 27, 2015.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary issues in soft tissue sarcoma. Washington University Cancer Center Research, Grand Rounds, St. Louis, MO. December 19, 2014.
- Pollock RE: Setting the Stage: Natural History, Staging and Prognostic Factors. Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons, San Francisco, CA. October 27, 2014.
- Pollock RE: The hepatocyte growth factor receptor as a therapeutic target in dedifferentiated liposarcoma. NCI Sarcoma Symposium. Bethesda, MD. October 6, 2014.
- Pollock RE: A Rational Search for Novel Anti-Drug Therapies. Desmoid Tumor Research Foundation, Philadelphia, PA. September 27, 2014.
- Pollock RE: Emerging multidisciplinary approaches for the management of gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Delaware Society for Clinical Oncology, Newark, DE. September 25, 2014.
- Pollock RE: Difficult cases in sarcoma. American Society for Therapeutic Radiation and Oncology, San Francisco, September 14, 2014.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary approaches to retroperitoneal sarcoma. University of Nebraska Medical Center Surgery Grand Rounds, Miller Lectureship, Omaha, NE. September 10, 2014.
- Pollock RE: Personalising local treatment of STS, in brief. European Society of Medical Oncology, Milan, Italy. February 19, 2014.
- Pollock RE: Extended surgery for retroperitoneal liposarcoma; European Society of Medical Oncology. Milan, Italy. December 11, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary issues in soft tissue sarcoma, Cahill Lecture; Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC. November 4, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary management of Retroperitoneal Sarcoma, Mansour Lecture; Case Western Reserve University Medical Center. Cleveland, OH, October 25, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary management of Pelvic Sarcoma; Internal Hemipelvectomy. XI Congress of the Brazilian Society of Surgical Oncology, Sao Paulo, Brazil, October 18, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Recent approaches and results in sarcomas. AC Camargo Hospital 60th Anniversary Research Symposium. Sao Paulo, Brazil, June 14, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Fibromatoses/desmoid tumors: the state of art and future perspectives. AC Camargo Hospital 60th Anniversary Research Symposium. Sao Paulo, Brazil, June 14, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary Issues in Soft Tissue Sarcoma; Grand Rounds Department of Surgery, Mercer College of Medicine, Savannah, GA, May 23, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary Issues in Soft Tissue Sarcoma Multidisciplinary Care, State of the Art Lecture; The Society of Black Academic Surgeons, 23rd Annual Meeting, Jackson, MS, April 27, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary Issues in Retroperitoneal Soft Tissue Sarcoma, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Boston, MA, April 25, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary issues in soft tissue sarcoma; Grand Rounds, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Boston, MA, April 25, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Great Debates; Extended resection for retroperitoneal STS improves survival. Society of Surgical Oncology, Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, March 9, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Sarcoma tumor board; Society of Surgical Oncology, Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, March 9, 2013.
- Pollock RE: Onco-anesthesiology; An emerging medical specialty whose time has come? Global Conference on Perioperative Medicine: Care of the Elderly and The Cancer Patient. Houston, TX, November 29, 2012.
- Pollock RE: Surgery in extremity soft tissue sarcoma. Mexican Society of Oncology, Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico, October 25, 2012.
- Pollock RE: The role of surgery in multidisciplinary desmoid care, Desmoid Tumor Research Foundation, Philadelphia, PA, October 20, 2012.
- Pollock RE: Options in management of retroperitoneal sarcoma; Keynote speaker, Italian Society of Surgical Oncology, Turin, Italy, June 15, 2012.
- Pollock RE: Meet the Professor Session: A multidisciplinary approach to integrating local therapies with systemic approach in soft tissue sarcomas. American Society of Clinical Oncology, Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, June 4, 2012.
- Pollock RE: Contemporary issues in soft tissue sarcoma; Grand Rounds, Department of Surgery Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, May 23, 2012.
- Pollock RE: Surgery for sarcoma metastases. European Society of Medical Oncology, Milan, Italy, March 9, 2012.